Wednesday 1 May 2013

Make - up-cycled vintage furniture


Hello Wednesday, it's nice to see you looking so well! Today I am sharing a little project I undertook yesterday, I had a couple of hours spare and this has been waiting to be done for an age. When I was the in-store VM at Cath Kidston I had so many amazing vintage props to work with, many of which were also for sale and over the 3 years I was there I became very fond of this tatty old milking stool. I could see that with a little love and attention this insignificant piece of 'furniture' could have a whole new lease of life. The stool was handed over in to my care and now sits as a side table and occasional prop at craft markets, it has also finally had the make-over it deserves. Here's what I did...

I have seen lots of two tone furniture on Pinterest of late and thought this would work well on the stool so I grabbed 2 tester pots of paint from the local DIY store and a couple of cheap brushes. The paint I used was Cuprinol garden shades as it is meant for wood. I chose to use Daisy White for the bottom half and Coastal Mist for the top (I am always drawn to blue shades), and to highlight the small band around the leg I used a light gold acrylic art paint. If you decide to have a go at this on something yourself you may find a primer is needed, I didn't use one but I did sand the wood thoroughly before I started. It did take several coats to get the look I wanted but I am so pleased with the result. What do you think?


Have you rescued anything unloved before?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...